Kirkwood / Qnap HS-210, kernel 3.16->4.2/ udev 215->227 upgrade issue

Hi all.

I have been happily running debian on a Qnap HS-210 for about a year now.

It was a sid install onto a USB drive, last updated just before the jessie release. So it was running on kernel 3.16+63 and udev 215-9 from around that time.

Today I ran the first dist-upgrade after such long time,
and that brought in kernel 4.2+68 and udev 227-2.

But now it is no longer bringing up the network interface on boot ups,
so I can't ssh in anymore.

I am not sure if the problem is the kernel not finding the usb drive, hence not completing boot, or perhaps the udev rules changes brought by the newer version screwing with the net config?

The log files inside /var/log don't seem to get touched on boot attempts,
so it would seem that the kernel is not finding the USB drive?

I've also come across this link:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096
But I don't really understand FDT or what it all means to my install?

I know I should have been running stable/jessie and not sid, but back when I installed it wheezy was about to become oldstable, and the testing install was broken, so I ended up with sid...

Any ideas?

Many thanks...

Max