Re: Debian Jessie install on Cubox-i4pro eSATA drive?

On May 4, 2015, at 10:48 PM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

> On May 4, 2015, at 7:57 PM, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>

>> I'd just install with debian-installer and put / on your eSATA and /boot
>> on the SD card from the partitioning menu. No magic required. :)
>>

>> live well,
>> vagrant
>
> Thanks!
>
> I was just getting ready to try that when I got your email.  Good to know it’s the right thing to do.  So… Sometime later this week, I’ll report back to the list on how it works.

Works great!  You just have to be attentive when the installer goes to partition the disks.

Remember that /boot has to be on the uSD card, but root (/ and /usr), /var, /home and swap (and whatever[*] else you want) can go on the eSATA.

It’s _way_ faster now than it was with everything on the uSD!

Enjoy!
Rick

[*] Even though with only 2GB RAM the benefit is marginal, I like to put /tmp on tmpfs so it helps to have swap on the eSATA.  But tastes differ, YMMV.