Re: new old user

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:24 PM, Alan Corey wrote:

> No, my phones aren't mainstream.

When I said mainline Linux, I meant the version of Linux published here:

http://www.kernel.org/

That version of Linux doesn't support almost all of the Android phones
that exist.

Android phones (mainstream or not) all use their own custom version of Linux.

> Replacing the Android with something else isn't what I had in mind.
> What I had wasn't chrooted either, it had its own partition but could
> access Android's files.

Sounds like you just want to reinstall DebianKit?

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.dyndns.sven_ola.debian_kit

It appears that Lil' Debi lets you access Android's files.

I guess it would be fairly simple to replicate at least part of what
DebianKit does but manually using debootstrap or cdebootstrap.

Also, maybe one of these helps:

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=Debian&fdpage=1&page_id=0
https://wiki.debian.org/ChrootOnAndroid

> There was the start of a line of phone management stuff that appeared
> in Synaptic, I forget the name of it, it was out of Europe I think.

I guess you are thinking of FSO or oFono, which are both in Debian:

http://www.freesmartphone.org/
https://01.org/ofono

If not, maybe you are remembering SHR, Maemo, MeeGo, Tizen or one of
the other GNU/Linux for phones projects.

> Motorola puts their stuff on github ... maybe that'll help with drivers.

That won't help unless they also disentangle their drivers from
Android's changes to Linux, clean up the driver code, submit it to
mainline Linux, clean up the code some more, rinse, repeat, rinse,
repeat and eventually get it accepted. AFAICT there aren't many phone
vendors that do that, the only ones I know of are Goldelico/Neo900,
although that is changing very slowly but since there are millions of
lines of code per device that aren't in Linux mainline, it is a long
process.

http://neo900.org/
http://goldelico.com/
http://elinux.org/CE_Workgroup_Device_Mainlining_Project

For more Debian Mobile info, check out the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile

--
bye,
pabs