Re: Running Debian from a USB-drive on a Cubox-i 4

Hello,

Just to have a complete procedure in case someone tries to follow it:

On Monday 23 November 2015 20:48:13 Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2015-11-23, Pierre wrote:
> > Objective: Install Debian Jessie on a USB hard drive for a Cubox-i 4Pro
> >
> > Steps:
> > 1. On a linux host, create a bootable SD card with Debian installer image from
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/
> > as explained in the README
> > (http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images)
> >
> > zcat firmware.MX6_Cubox-i.img.gz partition.img.gz > complete_image.img
> > cat complete_image.img > /dev/sdX (X was b on my computer)
> >
> > 2. Put the SD card into the Cubox-i slot and run Debian installer and install
> > Jessie on the SD card.
>
> I'd skip installing to SD, and install / on the USB drive... (you might
> want to keep /boot on the SD card, the boot scripts on jessie may
> default to booting from MMC/SD only, though newer flash-kernel should
> support booting directly from USB).
>
> And at the end of the install, get to the boot menu by hitting "Go
> back", and then select "Execute a shell" from the boot menu, and chroot
> into the installed system:
>
>   # chroot /target /bin/bash
>
> Then do your Step 3:
>
> > 3. When completed, log in as root and check that it works correctly before
> > creating a new initramfs.
> >
> > Add the 2 modules:
> >   ci_hdrc_imx
> >   phy_mxs_usb
> > to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and rebuild the initramfs:

Before updating the initramfs, one must define the type of platform as
flash-kernel can't access /proc/cpuinfo from the chroot:

echo "SolidRun Cubox-i Dual/Quad" > /etc/flash-kernel/machine

Also, I'm not sure it is essential but I didn't want to get a non-bootable
configuration and I defined the kernel parameters to indicate where the root
file system is:

echo 'LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE="root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext4 ro rootwait console=tty1 quiet"' > /etc/default/flash-kernel

And last, totally optional now but can be usefull in the future, I edited
/usr/share/flash-kernel/bootscript/bootscr.cubox-i and added the 2 lines
bellow before loading the kernel:

#Extra U-Boot environment: drop files in /etc/flash-kernel/ubootenv.d
@@UBOOT_ENV_EXTRA@@

Then I updated the initramfs

> > update-initramfs -u -t
>
> Exit the shell (ctrl-d or type "exit"), and select finish installation
> From the menu...
>
> Should save you the trouble of steps 4-10. :)

Yes, your shortcut was worth it.

When done, it's better to delete the /etc/flash-kernel/machine file to let the
future versions of flash-kernel get this information dynamically.

Thanks
--
Pierre