Re: Running Debian from a USB-drive on a Cubox-i 4

On 2015-11-23, Pierre wrote:
> Objective: Install Debian Jessie on a USB hard drive for a Cubox-i 4Pro
>
> Steps:
> 1. On a linux host, create a bootable SD card with Debian installer image from
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/
> as explained in the README
> (http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images)
>
> zcat firmware.MX6_Cubox-i.img.gz partition.img.gz > complete_image.img
> cat complete_image.img > /dev/sdX (X was b on my computer)
>
> 2. Put the SD card into the Cubox-i slot and run Debian installer and install
> Jessie on the SD card.

I'd skip installing to SD, and install / on the USB drive... (you might
want to keep /boot on the SD card, the boot scripts on jessie may
default to booting from MMC/SD only, though newer flash-kernel should
support booting directly from USB).

And at the end of the install, get to the boot menu by hitting "Go
back", and then select "Execute a shell" from the boot menu, and chroot
into the installed system:

  # chroot /target /bin/bash

Then do your Step 3:

> 3. When completed, log in as root and check that it works correctly before
> creating a new initramfs.
>
> Add the 2 modules:
>   ci_hdrc_imx
>   phy_mxs_usb
> to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and rebuild the initramfs:
>
> update-initramfs -u -t

Exit the shell (ctrl-d or type "exit"), and select finish installation
From the menu...

Should save you the trouble of steps 4-10. :)

live well,
  vagrant