Re: Porting Debian arm(hf) to Turris Omnia (open-hardware router)

On 15.11.2015 10:05, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> (I'll respond to others later next week).
>
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2015, at 22:07, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>> Hello Ondřej,
>>
>> On 11/13/2015 02:55 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>>> we (@CZ.NIC) built open-hardware[1] and open-source[2] router called
>>> Turris Omnia (https://omnia.turris.cz/en/); I spoke about it shortly
>>> @DebConf15 lightning talks, and now we have IGG campaign
>>> (http://igg.me/at/turris-omnia) - and some people are already asking
>>> about running pure Debian on the box.
>>>
>>> And here's the question -> would anybody be willing to help us port
>>> Debian armhf in exchange of the prototype? We can help with uboot, and
>>> switchchip, but it will need some work anyway, etc...
>>
>> Sounds interesting. Which switch do you consider to use? Will there be
>> open documentation available? Under an NDA? My dayjob is to support
>> companies to put Linux on their hardware and the usual scenario is that
>> the manufacturer isn't allowed to share the documentation of switches
>> with us.
>
> Definitely not Broadcom as we are too small for them to even notice. I
> am Ccing my colleague Martin, who is the head of the project, and he can
> answer in more detail.

Hello, the switch-chip is Marvell 88E6176. Unfortunately you are right
we are not allowed to share the documentation.

>>> 1. the schematics will be available when we finalize the schema; you can
>>> check the previous mips based versions here:
>>> https://www.turris.cz/en/hardware-documentation
>>> 2. right now it's based on OpenWRT
>>
>> I took a quick look at the schematic, and the cpu is called
>> "P2020NSE2MHC". This is the name of a powerpc processor manufactured by
>> Freescale. Who is wrong here?
>
> This is Turris 1.0 and 1.1 schematics that were used in the security
> project of ours.
>
> Turris Omnia uses Marvell Armada 385.
>
>> This design used a QCA8337N-AL3C switch, I failed to find reliable data
>> on the net for that quickly, but it seems it needs a binary blob to be
>> operated by Linux?!
>
> As far as I know the only thing that needs the binary blob is the
> default AC wifi cards in the complete package (not just the board), but
> you can use any wifi card that you like.

That's right. Apart from the wifi card (ath10k) Omnia doesn't need any
firmware blobs.
QCA8337N-AL3C doesn't need any blob as well. The memory with bootstrap
code you've probably read about is optional.

Martin

--
Martin Strbacka CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o. tel. +420 604 217 854