Re: Porting Debian arm(hf) to Turris Omnia (open-hardware router)

Hi Uwe,

(I'll respond to others later next week).

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015, at 22:07, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hello Ondřej,
>
> On 11/13/2015 02:55 PM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > we (@CZ.NIC) built open-hardware[1] and open-source[2] router called
> > Turris Omnia (https://omnia.turris.cz/en/); I spoke about it shortly
> > @DebConf15 lightning talks, and now we have IGG campaign
> > (http://igg.me/at/turris-omnia) - and some people are already asking
> > about running pure Debian on the box.
> >
> > And here's the question -> would anybody be willing to help us port
> > Debian armhf in exchange of the prototype? We can help with uboot, and
> > switchchip, but it will need some work anyway, etc...
>
> Sounds interesting. Which switch do you consider to use? Will there be
> open documentation available? Under an NDA? My dayjob is to support
> companies to put Linux on their hardware and the usual scenario is that
> the manufacturer isn't allowed to share the documentation of switches
> with us.

Definitely not Broadcom as we are too small for them to even notice. I
am Ccing my colleague Martin, who is the head of the project, and he can
answer in more detail.

> > 1. the schematics will be available when we finalize the schema; you can
> > check the previous mips based versions here:
> > https://www.turris.cz/en/hardware-documentation
> > 2. right now it's based on OpenWRT
>
> I took a quick look at the schematic, and the cpu is called
> "P2020NSE2MHC". This is the name of a powerpc processor manufactured by
> Freescale. Who is wrong here?

This is Turris 1.0 and 1.1 schematics that were used in the security
project of ours.

Turris Omnia uses Marvell Armada 385.

> This design used a QCA8337N-AL3C switch, I failed to find reliable data
> on the net for that quickly, but it seems it needs a binary blob to be
> operated by Linux?!

As far as I know the only thing that needs the binary blob is the
default AC wifi cards in the complete package (not just the board), but
you can use any wifi card that you like.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server