Re: SS4000E - partitions restoration [was: Re: SS4000E install problem]

Hi Craig,

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 07:33:26AM -0500, craig guest wrote:

[...]
> the y modem transfer. I managed to get debian installed on it and
> have it auto start. It seems top be functioning well. Running
> squeeze

Congrats ! Nice to read this ;)

[...]
> I saw earlier in the thread about getting Jessie installed. Is it
> possible and how?

From this same thread, Jessie seems to be uninstallable on this Nas :
there is no suitable kernel anymore.

> Also now that I have debian installed is it possible to restore the
> partition from it and what might the command be.

Here, the mtdX layout is the following :

lothar:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00040000 00020000 "RedBoot"
mtd1: 00020000 00020000 "log"
mtd2: 00040000 00020000 "rammode"
mtd3: 00020000 00020000 "naskey"
mtd4: 00200000 00020000 "zImage"
mtd5: 00400000 00020000 "ramdisk.gz"
mtd6: 01880000 00020000 "vendor"
mtd7: 00080000 00020000 "wmdata"
mtd8: 00001000 00020000 "RedBoot config"
mtd9: 00020000 00020000 "FIS directory"

So, intuitively, a command to restore the "vendor" partition would
be :

dd if=/somewehre/vendor of=/dev/mtd6

But I don't know if it's so simple ?

Does someone has a better idea ?

And on the another end, do you really need this "vendor" partition if
all you want is running Debian on it ?

> Thanx in advance for all the super support. It's nice to see this
> thing come back to life.

Yes ;)

Hih,

--