Re: linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-kirkwood requires flash-kernel from testing on some devices

Hello,

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 7:01 AM, Renato Caldas <rm.santos.caldas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> After updating the kernel from 3.16 (stable) to 4.1 (bpo), I was
>> unable to boot. A similar problem (and solution) was described here:
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2015/05/msg00073.html
>>
>> Turns out flash-kernel also requires update. After installing
>> flash-kernel from "testing" I was able to properly flash
>> linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-kirkwood and its initrd.
>>
>> Could you please also include flash-kernel from testing in the bpo repository?
>> Moreover, it would be great if updating the kernel would also update
>> flash-kernel, but I'm not sure how that could be done (especially
>> since 3.16 and 4.1 can be installed side-by-side).
>>
>> Thank you,
>>  Renato
>>

>> Hello again,
>>
>> Just discovered that qcontrol from testing is also required. Otherwise
>> qcontrol.service will fail to start, and the watchdog will
>> periodically reboot the device.
>
> Interesting…
>
> Last night I installed linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.2-kirkwood (note: “bpo.2”, not “bpo.1” but should that make any difference?) on my SheevaPlug.  I did not update flash-kernel or qcontrol.   But it rebooted cleanly following the upgrade and it’s been running for 12 hours with no watchdog problems.
>
> Was this fixed in bpo.2?

Not really, it is orthogonal issue. Could you please post flash-kernel
and qcontrol versions installed in your device?
In anycase, I think we should provide qcontrol and flash-kernel
backport was well.

Regards,
--