Re: linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-kirkwood requires flash-kernel from testing on some devices

On Sep 3, 2015, at 7:01 AM, Renato Caldas <rm.santos.caldas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using debian stable (jessie) on a QNAP TS-212P (kirkwood platform).
>
> After updating the kernel from 3.16 (stable) to 4.1 (bpo), I was
> unable to boot. A similar problem (and solution) was described here:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2015/05/msg00073.html
>
> Turns out flash-kernel also requires update. After installing
> flash-kernel from "testing" I was able to properly flash
> linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-kirkwood and its initrd.
>
> Could you please also include flash-kernel from testing in the bpo repository?
> Moreover, it would be great if updating the kernel would also update
> flash-kernel, but I'm not sure how that could be done (especially
> since 3.16 and 4.1 can be installed side-by-side).
>
> Thank you,
>  Renato
>

> Hello again,
>
> Just discovered that qcontrol from testing is also required. Otherwise
> qcontrol.service will fail to start, and the watchdog will
> periodically reboot the device.

Interesting…

Last night I installed linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.2-kirkwood (note: “bpo.2”, not “bpo.1” but should that make any difference?) on my SheevaPlug.  I did not update flash-kernel or qcontrol.   But it rebooted cleanly following the upgrade and it’s been running for 12 hours with no watchdog problems.

Was this fixed in bpo.2?

Rick