Re: I/O issues with writing to mtdblock devices on kirkwood

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 01:24:17PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Hi kirkwood-upstream,
>
> We (Debian) have had a couple of reports of I/O errors running Debian
> on kirkwood, specifically it seems to relate to later kernels (e.g.
> 4.0+) and I _suspect_ (without proof) that it may be due to the switch
> from board files to the DTS based kernel, or some change implied by
> this (e.g. different SATA driver now or timeouts have changed
> perhaps?).

Hi Ian

I've not reproduced this exactly, but something similar.

I do a find / and in parallel a cat /dev/mtdblock3 > /dev/null

While the cat is active, the find grinds to a halt. I don't get any
SATA timeouts, but that could be because /dev/mtdblock3 is small
enough that the timers don't expire.

I would like to point out that this bug is triggered during the flashing of initramfs, which on Debian for this architecture is 9MB (after padding AFAIK) but not during flashing the kernel (which is some 2MBs) so I suspect you are right.

Best regards,
Jan