Re: flash-kernel puts QNAP on its knees

Hi,

On 08/21/2015 02:11 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sun, 2015-08-09 at 09:39 +0200, JM wrote:

This is just a hunch, but perhaps a part of the problem is because
flash-kernel simply cats the image to mtdblock, which is not the
recommended way to deal with flash storage [1].

I'm afraid I disagree with this, cat-ing to mtdblock is IMHO absolutely
fine.

Breaks on my TS-219 and TS-221 too, unfortunately.

The article you cite is regarding putting normal (i.e non-flash-aware)
filesystems onto mtdblock devices, but flash-kernel is using the raw
device which is fine and exactly the sort of thing mtdblock is for.

When I have more time, I'd like to try flashcp from mtd-utils and see
if the deadlock still occurs. If it does, it's likely a kernel bug
somewhere in handling flash storage.

Despite the above please do let us know if this makes any difference?

I hacked flash-kernel to use flashcp from mtd-utils. Where using cat triggers ATA timeout and reset, using flashcp worked flawlessly.

Ian.

GRTNX,
RobJE