Re: flash-kernel puts QNAP on its knees

On Sun, 2015-08-09 at 09:39 +0200, JM wrote:

> This is just a hunch, but perhaps a part of the problem is because
> flash-kernel simply cats the image to mtdblock, which is not the
> recommended way to deal with flash storage [1].

I'm afraid I disagree with this, cat-ing to mtdblock is IMHO absolutely
fine.

The article you cite is regarding putting normal (i.e non-flash-aware)
filesystems onto mtdblock devices, but flash-kernel is using the raw
device which is fine and exactly the sort of thing mtdblock is for.

> When I have more time, I'd like to try flashcp from mtd-utils and see
> if the deadlock still occurs. If it does, it's likely a kernel bug
> somewhere in handling flash storage.

Despite the above please do let us know if this makes any difference?

Ian.