Re: Help with the arm64 and ppc64el installation-guides needed

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 09:43:07PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:45:50PM -0300, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> > When it comes to IBM latest servers, that are three options for
> > platforms: OPAL (powernv in Linux), as PowerKVM guest, and PowerVM LPAR
> > (both pseries platform in Linux).
> >
> > OPAL has petitboot built-in, PowerKVM uses SLOF and PowerVM uses IBM
> > Open Firmware. The three are capable of booting from optical media, USB,
> > and netboot. With the exception of KVM guests, when a supported
> > graphical card is used, graphical installation should be an option as
> > well. For KVM guests, there is offb, which should work with VNC. Should
> > we enable graphical installation in the media? Or is just netboot images
> > missing graphical support on d-i?
>
> So does this mean that PowerVM LPAR is the same as running on the bare
> metal (which is the only way I have run debian on IBM pSeries systems,
> specifically a p520 power6+ and a p710 power7).  Certainly openfirmware
> booting with grub2 is the only method I have ever used.  IBM support
> people sure do seem confused when they hear you have no HMC or VM or
> anything else on your pSeries.  Just Debian on the bare metal.

Well, bare metal has been mistakenly used to describe what I would call
dedicated partition of single partition mode. People may call it bare
metal, because there is no virtualized IO (in fact, there is the
console), and CPU and memory resources are not shared with other
partitions. But there is still a Hypervisor under the OS. It's still a
PowerVM LPAR, and boot capabilities still apply as though you were
sharing the server with other partitions.

Hope that clarifies.

Cascardo.