Re: Help with the arm64 and ppc64el installation-guides needed

On Sat, 2015-04-11 at 17:13 +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de> wrote:
> > Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Uh..... I requested this very kind of information in september and
> > > november, why wasn't this work (done in december) ever submitted
> > > before?  We can integrate it in the installation manual, but it will
> > > most probably not get translated for the release...
> >
> > Yeah, it's a shame this has not been presented earlier!
> >
> > > I'll however be unable to integrate things like "blablabla" (sic)...
> >
> > The blablabla is indeed only a placeholder which gets removed in a later
> > commit.
>
> Sorry, I did not noticed there were several blablabla, only saw the first
> one in preparing. So there is still some content missing indeed, as Samuel
> mentioned! But we have several empty sections for other archs or
> d-i modules too...
>
> > If noone objects, I could create one single patch out of that for
> > a review here.
>
> So here we go.
>
> I have merged Brenos changings in a local tree, and additionally to that:
>
> 	in build/entities/common.ent there was the name of the architecture
> 	missing. So what's the exact pronunciation of that arch?
> 	(for powerpc we have "PowerPC" for example)
> 	Is there some special form, or simply ppc64el?
> 	In "Supported hardware" Breno has "Power Systems" as arch name. ???
> 	The ports page on https://www.debian.org/ports/ lists
> 	https://wiki.debian.org/ppc64el/ as basic info page for the
> 	ppc64el port, and there is no mention of "Power Systems"...
> 	Also, in "Instructions for Netboot installation" under preparing
> 	there is the term "PowerLinux machine".
> 	This all should be harmonized to one term.
[...]

Based on
<http://openpowerfoundation.org/technical/technical-resources/technical-specifications/> I think it's 'PowerPC 64-bit little-endian', or 'PowerISA little-endian'.

However, comparing with the way we've named other architectures, '64-bit
PowerPC (little-endian)' would be more consistent.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
compatible: Gracefully accepts erroneous data from any source