Re: Question about build box hardware

Stephen Paul Weber wrote:

> I'm investigating doing an armhf port of a Debian derivative (gNewSense) and
> am looking at hardwark for the build infrastructure.

I'm currently putting together a a box myself as a Jenkins build
slave to build a couple of projects I'm interested in.

> I have mostly found the same to be true.  There is
> <http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Firefly-RK3288-Quad-Core-Cortex-A17-Development-Board-Plus-4GB-DDR3-32GB-eMMC-Adapter/1710008_32248656289.html>
> which looks promising.

I chose this one (disclaimer, I work for Qualcomm):

    http://www.inforcecomputing.com/products/moreinfo/inforce6540.html

mainly because its a quad core 2.5GHz CPU and it has a a SATA port. It comes
with Android, but Inforce have an Ubuntu image that can be flashed to it. I'm
still deciding whether I want to try and force Debian over the top of that
or just run a Debian chroot.

The docs are a little sparse and not very friendly.

> >Storage interfaces can also be an issue. USB is ubiquitous on arm boards
> >but the implementations can be shaky and this has made me wary
>
> Do you need a lot of on-device storage all at once?  With gigabit ethernet,
> having an on-LAN mirror + NAS for storing results might work as long as
> there's enough space to build the current task?  Or, I may be missing
> something.

Well, by the end of this coming weekend, I should be able to provide a real
comparison between this Inforce board and a recent quad core Intel i5 if
that helps.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo