Re: Debian in a Pcduino3

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 03:50:26PM +0100, Patrice Go wrote:

> I am not sure to be able and to have enough time to install a
> wheezy "by hand" (lfs, kernel compilation, modules choices,
> etc), i think i will rather test an install of a Jessie or a
> sid on the pcduino3.

I have committed a machine db entry for the pcduino3 to the
flash-kernel git repository and I have submitted a wishlist bug
against the kernel package (#774067) with a patch to add the
pcduino3 device-tree data to kernel 3.16.  We will now have to
wait and see whether these changes get accepted. If they do,
we will also need to enable building u-boot for the pcduino3
(CCing Vagrant Cascadian, the u-boot maintainer).

@Vagrant: the board is supported in u-boot v2014-10
(Linksprite_pcDuino3_defconfig).

> However, i am not sure to understand correctly all the
> technical point...
>
> i enounce my actual understanding of these points :
>
> Jessie is defined/frozen actually with a kernel 3.16, which
> doesn't support the A20 device-tree (structure of the pcduino3
> board).  then if i install a Jessie, will i be able to use it
> for minimal uses ?  by example, command line and ssh, to
> install the kernel 3.17 backport which support the A20 device
> tree ?  or is it better to install the sid ?

For background information regarding device-trees, please see my
other email.  If my patch for kernel 3.16, the flash-kernel
update and the additional u-boot target get accepted for
inclusion into Jessie, installing Jessie should hopefully work
"out-of-the-box"; I cannot guarantee anything of course.
If everything works out as planned, the board should be useable
via serial console and via ssh over wired ethernet.  I cannot say
whether the WiFi-module on the board can be made to work, though.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der