Re: Debian in a Pcduino3

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 15:50:26 +0100
Patrice Go <patgsiosisr@gmail.com> wrote:

> i enounce my actual understanding of these points :
>
> Jessie is defined/frozen actually with a kernel 3.16, which doesn't
> support the A20 device-tree (structure of the pcduino3 board). then
> if i install a Jessie, will i be able to use it for minimal uses ?

Without a suitable device tree blob, the system won't boot.

> by
> example, command line and ssh, to install the kernel 3.17 backport
> which support the A20 device tree ?
> or is it better to install the sid ?

You'll need experimental.

> Patrice G.
>
> Le 25 déc. 2014 23:35, "Karsten Merker" <merker@debian.org> a écrit :

> > The pcduino3 is (in contrast to the older A10-based pcduino) not
> > yet officially supported by Debian (device-tree support for it
> > has been added in kernel 3.17 while Jessie uses Kernel 3.16), but

There is a 3.18 in experimental which may include the relevant support
but it would be up to you to test on real hardware.

https://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-image-3.18.0-trunk-armmp

usr/lib/linux-image-3.18.0-trunk-armmp/sun7i-a20-pcduino3.dtb

That will involve preparing the files to install yourself so that it
includes the relevant kernel package before you could boot the board.
The dtb can't simply be used with a 3.16 kernel.

You'll also need all the setup required for the bootloader, presumably
u-boot.

--

Neil Williams