Re: Installability of desktops on arm64

+++ peter green [2014-07-19 19:59 +0100]:
> I decided to take a look at what desktops/windows managers were/were
> not installable on arm64. Results
>
> mate-desktop-environment: took some pushing but is now installable.
>
> lxde: blocked by
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=753778 , appears
> to be some sort of race condition in the "install" second of the
> libfm build process.

I rebuilt this package and it created itself correctly this time. If
it a race issue then this does not mean the problem is fixed. It does
mean that lxde should be buildable now?

> xfce4: now installable
>
> gnome-core: blocked by testsuite failure in uhttpmock, maybe worth a
> retry.

I'm not too hopeful about that being a one-off, but I've scheduled a
retry so we can see if it's consistent.

> May well be other blockers too.
> gnome: in addition to other problems mentioned above blocked by
> missing libreoffice. Debian libreoffice package doesn't even try to
> build on arm64 (not in architecture list afaict). Ubuntu has
> libreoffice on arm64 but their versions have been out of sync with
> debian for some time.

Libreoffice needs major porting work (in their equivalent of
libffi). That will get done, but is not a priority for anyone yet. (It
will be once people start to get desktops in front of them).

> kde-plasma-desktop: blocked by kdepimlibs build failure
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=746864 , there is
> a patch in the bug report but it's not clear to me if it's a
> complete fix or not (in particular it doesn't seem to do anything to
> address the "Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
> /usr/bin/dh_makeshlibs line 251." messages, only fix up the list of
> symbols. Not sure if those errors are related to the symbols list,
> are non-fatal or what
>
> kde-plasma-netbook: as with kde-plasma-desktop
>
> e17: installable
>
> openbox: installable
>
> icewm: installable
>
> fluxbox: installable
>
> wmii: installable
>
> awesome: installable

Thanks for checking all that out Peter. I'll provide an arm64 update very soon as lots is happening.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/