Re: Official support Odroid hardware and other ARM development boards.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>  ah that's a misunderstanding, paul.  what neal (bless 'im) is
> referring to there is the fact that the A31 has *inside the Silicon
> design* an early version of the OR1000 core, which is run at a very
> low clock speed and is used to manage the chip when everything else is
> powered down in "sleep state".

Sounds similar to what I mean by "embedded controller", which is a
term I'm only familiar with from the x86 hardware space. Only
difference about the A31 is that it is part of the SoC rather than
external. Thanks for the clarification and extra detail.

http://www.coreboot.org/Embedded_controller

> let's just hope the Allwinner had the good sense to realise that if
> they made any modifications to that OR1000 core they have to respect
> the LGPL license that OR1000 is released under, eh?

The LGPL specifically allows private modifications and physical
hardware isn't copyrightable so I doubt that they actually have to
release any OR1000 modifications. Private modifications I doubt anyone
would ever find out about and it would be pointless to sue over if you
did find out since they would just say "oh yes officer we will go back
to the unmodified version". Only possibility would be that they need
to distribute to a fab but I guess that TSMC would never tell on them
for not distributing the "source" to TSMC?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise