Re: U-Boot on QNAP TS-421

On 2014-02-12 13:03, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 12:26 +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
As far as I can tell, the standard Debian install for
the QNAP NAS-es also runs from on-board NAND and thus
runs with the default u-boot parameters.

This is not the case, Debian will be installed to the SATA disk. Between
the installer and flash-kernel things are arranged such that the kernel
+initrd in the flash do the right things to boot Debian from the disk.

This does not need any u-boot hackery and works with the defaults.

Oh, I see. So the initrd makes sure the correct rootfs is
mounted.

What I really want to do is be able to switch
(persistently) between booting the stock firmware
from NAND and a full fat Linux distro from SATA
by only changing the root= kernel boot parameter
(in u-boot bootargs), and use the stock kernel
for both.

This might be a bit trickier, but I'm afraid I expect you are the first
to have such a requirement.

It's not a requirement per se - it's more a case of
leaving options open with minimum possible changes.

Is there somewhere I can download just the Debian
kernel and initrd blobs to flash to NAND without
installing the whole distro?

Thanks for the info.

Gordan