Re: U-Boot on QNAP TS-421

On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 12:26 +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the standard Debian install for
> the QNAP NAS-es also runs from on-board NAND and thus
> runs with the default u-boot parameters.

This is not the case, Debian will be installed to the SATA disk. Between
the installer and flash-kernel things are arranged such that the kernel
+initrd in the flash do the right things to boot Debian from the disk.

This does not need any u-boot hackery and works with the defaults.

> What I really want to do is be able to switch
> (persistently) between booting the stock firmware
> from NAND and a full fat Linux distro from SATA
> by only changing the root= kernel boot parameter
> (in u-boot bootargs), and use the stock kernel
> for both.

This might be a bit trickier, but I'm afraid I expect you are the first
to have such a requirement.

Ian.