Re: Haskell on arm needs help (was: hledger and hledger-web packages for raspbian)

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 22.11.2014, 12:49 +0000 schrieb Wookey:
> More generally: I would like to see ghci working on arm64 (and arm in
> general) as it blocks a lot of packages. My understanding it there is
> some kind of arch-specific code-generator inside which needs quite a
> lot of work teaching it a new ISA. No-one in Linaro has come forward
> and said that they need this working badly enough to get it done there
> so it needs to be done by community people.

supposedly the situation is much better in 7.8, which uses the system
linker. Unfortunately, we don’t know, because it FTBFS for other
reasons:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=ghc&suite=experimental

> I presume the number of people intimately familiar with both haskell
> and low-level arm coding is dangerously close to zero so it presumably
> needs collaboration between relevant experts. Do we have some arm
> people who want to put in some time on this, and some haskell people
> they can talk to about exactly what needs to be done?
>
> I can help by providing access to hardware even for non-DDs if that's
> what's needed to make this happen.

I grepped through the ghc commit messages and identified these people
(CC’ed) as having worked on arm-related stuff in the recent past:

 Luke Iannini <lukexi@me.com>
 Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss@gmail.com>
 Stephen Paul Weber <singpolyma@singpolyma.net>
 Karel Gardas <karel.gardas@centrum.cz>

They might know better what is supposed to work, and why it does not
work on Debian yet. And maybe the prospect of hardware access to fast
build machines can spark renewed enthusiasm in that direction.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner