Re: booting the samsung chromeboot xe303c12 with the debian armmp kernel

On Wed, Nov 12 2014, Pedro Bulach wrote:
> On 12 November 2014 06:40, David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> wrote:
>> Pedro, I don't have any solutions for you, but I'd like to understand
>> better what you have tried.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 11 2014, Pedro Bulach wrote:
>>> The pending issues are the following:
>>>  1. nv u-boot does not load by boot command file
>>
>> This is not clear. Do you mean "nv u-boot is not loaded when I boot the
>> machine"?
>
> No, it was badly phased indeed. It means u-boot is loaded but my
> u-boot command file (boot.scr) does no seem to be loaded.

Understood.

>>>  2. at the u-boot prompt, I can load the uImage, initrd and dtb,
>>> followed by a bootm command, but the system hangs and I do not see any
>>> kernel messages
>>
>> If this is really "u-boot" rather than the chainloaded "nv u-boot", then
>> I don't think that it is expected to work. You must have nv u-boot
>> chainloaded by u-boot (which it seems from your (1) isn't working), and
>> nv u-boot then loads the kernel image, etc.
>
> This may be the case. I have two quick questions:
>  1. is nv u-boot clearly identified in its version string? Or how can
> I check that?

Using nv_uboot-snow-simplefb.kpart, the version number I see is
"2011.12-gc1f6280". Nothing in the version string specifically calls out
that this is the 'nv' or 'simplefb' version of u-boot, at least to me.

The banner messages when the machine boots the simplefb variant say:

Model: Google Snow
In:    mkbp-keyb
Out:   lcd
Err:   lcd

I believe that the 'mkbp-keyb' and 'lcd' values indicate that this is
the simplefb variant.

>  2. how can I enter nv-u-boot console without entering u-boot console?

My understanding is that you can't get to the u-boot console, only the
chainloaded nv u-boot console.