Re: [RFC] d-i hd-media support for armhf

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 09:01:46PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> It appears not :-/

> Thinking about it some more we don't really need this for the sort of
> default boot script I was thinking about, just a dtb -> dtb-$uname
> symlink to match the vmlinuz/initrd.img ones is sufficient given the
> ability to supply our own boot.scr, and flash kernel can arrange that
> regardless of the packaged location.

> I notice that the Debian powerpc packages use the same /usr/lib path as
> the arm ones, I don't have the knowledge to go messing around with that,
> which makes me inclined to leave ARM alone too rather than diverge
> across the arches.

> > The linked wiki page still lists a set of options.

> FWIW this new u-boot stuff include $fdtfile which is the file name, but
> I don't think it includes (or cares about) the path to it.

> > At the time of that thread, I recall that the proposed standardization of
> > dtb locations was mostly not useful for the platforms I cared about because
> > they were going to be placed in locations that wouldn't help u-boot find
> > them in order to pass them to the kernel.

> Anywhere under /boot would do, wouldn't it? Debian and Ubuntu seem to be
> the main ones which use /usr or /lib.

Anywhere under /boot, provided that u-boot can find it.  The linaro proposal
was for distribution packages to /ship/ the dtb files under /boot; that
doesn't help u-boot if they're also going to be qualified by uname, without
additional glue code for your boot.scr; and if you have to have additional
glue code, why put it in boot.scr instead of in flash-kernel?

One possible answer to this question is: so that flash-kernel doesn't have
to iterate over all of the dtbs for the current kernel and copy them around.
But I think we're even farther from having any kind of standard
boot.scr/uEnv.txt infrastructure that would cope with this, than we are from
having dtbs themselves as a standard interface.