Re: [RFC] d-i hd-media support for armhf

On 2014-09-21 17:17:23 -0500, Karsten Merker wrote:
> I believe that on armhf systems a tarball makes more sense than
> a disk image for the following reasons:

Thanks for working on this!

> - We do not install a boot sector on armhf but just a u-boot
>   script.  This is a normal file which can be copied onto a USB
>   stick with an exiting filesystem of arbitrary size and mostly
>   arbitrary type (fat16/fat32/ext2/ext3/ext4), so there is no
>   need to provide a block-wise disk image with a fixed size.
>   This allows using nearly any exiting usb stick as installation
>   medium without overwriting the data on it, and it provides
>   flexibility regarding media size.

Sounds good.

There are several platforms that do not have u-boot on any sort of
built-in media, but it wouldn't be hard to write a script that dumps the
tarball and writes u-boot to the media, at least for some "common"
platforms.

> Due to the diversity of the various armhf platforms and their
> (sometimes years-old) u-boot versions, it is nearly impossible to
> provide a boot script that works on all of them.  Therefore I
> target systems which run a current mainline u-boot.  Mainline
> u-boot 2014.10 (which is planned to go into Jessie) introduces a
> common bootcmd handling for all platforms, so that one boot
> script can be used on all supported platforms.
>
> The d-i boot script checks whether it is called on such a modern
> u-boot and provides appropriate information when not.

Sounds good.

Not all platforms seem to have adopted this yet, but it's probably worth
considering patching some u-boot platforms to do so in Debian...

> I have run some tests with the resulting tarball contents and a
> Jesse CD1 iso copied onto a USB stick; booting and detecting the
> ISO worked as expected on a Cubietruck (armhf/sunxi) with
> mainline u-boot.

Which ISO did you use?

live well,
  vagrant