Hi Ian/Tim,

Trying to make sure I understand a correct steps. I'd like to re-install the whole system again. I do have a serial console connection.

My plan is to have a /boot on a USB disk, with a 512bits data as passphrase from usb key. whole two disk SDA/SDB will be RAID1 with LUKS on top. Then LVM inside luks. Then, /root and /home.

I understand that I have to manage to change /dev/ram to /dev/??? (root in lvm?? on top of Luks).

After following http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/install/ , before I go with reboot, what specific steps should I do exactly?

Your kind explanation is highly appreciated!
thanks
peng

On 2014-08-30 13:22, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sat, 2014-08-30 at 14:59 +0100, Tim Fletcher wrote:
On 30/08/14 14:38, Li, Peng wrote:
> HI Tim,
>
> Can you elaborate a bit? After installion, I didn't put these in myself.
> How do it do it?

If you can get a console on the device then hand boot it with the
correct root= setting, let the system boot and then run:

update-initramfs -k all -u

And then repeat the install process for the kernel and initramfs to the internal flash. Sorry I don't know the exact details for the flashkernel
tool.

I can't remember if running update-initramfs also reruns flash-kernel,
so it's probably safest to by hand which just involves running
"flash-kernel".

> Was it supposed to be done by installer correctlying point correct root
> device?

Either the installer or update-initramfs will look at the current system
setup and then build a suitable ramdisk.

I've not looked at the whole thread but I think the functionality you
are referring too comes from flash-kernels' initramfs hook in
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/flash_kernel_set_root

Ian.