Re: Debian platform firmware strategy?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Paul Wise wrote:

> What should Debian's strategy/policy wrt platform firmware be?

If there is anyone interested in this topic who is also going to
DebConf14, please register a BoF on the topic. I would suggest making
it architecture neutral since there will probably be people interested
in coreboot on x86 there (myself included). I won't register such a
BoF myself (but would probably attend), I don't have enough broad
experience with multiple device classes, only with a couple of
smartphones (gta02, galaxysmtd).

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts, I agree with much of
what has been said. What I'm getting here is that what to do with
platform firmware is very user, device and architecture dependent and
requires lots of testing and detailed knowledge.

The question now is, what changes should we make to various bootloader
packages and to the Debian installer. Probably the best place to start
that discussion and work on it is at the BoF I suggested above.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise