Re: flash-kernel and dtb

On Sunday 15 June 2014 12:14:03 Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> Merging both replies into a single email here...
>
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:43:13PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 June 2014 00:23:07 Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > > My hunch is loading your bootscript to an alternate address is somehow
> > > causing an issue...
> > >
> > > instead of specifying a different address to load the script, try:
> > >   load mmc 0:2 ${loadaddr} /boot/boot.scr
> > >   source ${loadaddr}
> >
> > Hmm....is loadaddr a special variable for u-boot?
>
> I don't think there's anything special about it, other than with the default
> u-boot environment in Debian, it's set to a value that works, at least on a
> Cubox i4pro.
>
> > If not, would you not overwrite the script file with the zImage?
>
> I had the same thought, but it was the default in u-boot, so just tried it,
> and it's not been an issue for me. I think u-boot may relocate the
> bootscript before executing it.
>
> > Most likely, there is something wrong with my u-boot installation.
> >
> > Is there some documentation on how to get the Debian u-boot properly
> > installed on Cubox-i (or other devices)?
>
> The instructions you described look fine to me, after resetting your u-boot
> environment variables with "env default -a", and adjusting variables such as
> mmcpart to reflect your install, and then running "saveenv".
>
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 02:25:53PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > The system starts to boot, but I says it boots an uImage and not a
> > zImage....
> >
> > CuBox-i U-Boot > run bootcmd
> > mmc0 is current device
> > ** File not found /boot.scr **
> > ** File not found uEnv.txt **
> > ** File not found /zImage **
> > 2886347 bytes read in 276 ms (10 MiB/s)
> > ** File not found /uInitrd **
> > Booting from mmc ...
> > Booting uImage
>
> You must have a uImage in the toplevel dir.
>
> The default bootcmd (for cubox-i) first tries loading boot.scr, uEnv.txt,
> zImage, uImage from /, and then falls back to /boot/boot.scr,
> /boot/uEnv.txt, etc. if it doesn't find any. The default location for
> flash-kernel is /boot/boot.scr.
>
> So, either remove or move uImage elsewhere, or change the search order to
> seach /boot first:
>
>   setenv boot_prefixes /boot /
>
> Or change the default flash-kernel boot.scr location in
> /etc/flash-kernel/db:
>
>   Machine: SolidRun Cubox-i Dual/Quad
>   Boot-Script-Path: /boot.scr
>
> Or, of course, set a custom bootcmd that does exactly what you want.
>
> Pick one of the above, not all of them.
>
> > I am wondering, if there is anybody who has bootz on cubox-i running (?).
>
> Yes; it's what I use, with the default u-boot environment, and the default
> flash-kernel. It mostly seems to be an issue of resetting your defaults and
> removing cruft from earlier attempts.
>
> I think you're close to a working setup, just fiddle with it at this point
> (one thing at a time!). Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement....and indeed it worked.

The problem was caused by the existence of /uImage, I renamed that (and
/ramdisk) and the problem went away.

I reset u-boot (env default -a) and it worked.

Many thanks, Vagrant that was great help you provided!
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch
http://bokomoko.de/