Re: Support for sunxi-based ARM systems in d-i

On 6/10/2014 3:42 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 08:27 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>>> I've not written my notes into prose for the wiki yet but, perhaps they
>>> are sufficient for you and others to get going with though.
>>
>>  great!  this is *exactly* what i suggested be written up (note-form
>> is perfect), and exactly why i suggested it be written up as well [to
>> help others].
>>
>>  now it will serve as a reminder for you as well, ian, in a few months
>> when this has dropped out of electrical memory in your brain.
>
> Please can you stop being such a patronising/arrogant know it all. I am
> well aware of the benefits of documentation. I also resent your previous
> implication that I am (and others are) not capable of doing what is best
> for Debian without being told what that means by you.
>
>>  the only other thing that's missing is a [brief] list of repos to
>> download and compile up.  yes the patches have been submitted to the
>> list but it's unclear as to where and what they should be applied to.
>> a small group of people with massive amounts of experience will be
>> able to work that out but everyone else will not.
>
> This stuff is all now available in the standard Debian testing release,
> including the daily installer builds, there is nothing secretive of
> expert going on here. This is the right way to go about making things
> available in Debian.
>
> Ian.

Ian,

I don't know what the history between you and Luke is.  But I have to
agree with him.  The documentation in this case really stinks.

I had a heck of a time trying to build a custom installer using the
(lack of) available documentation.  I couldn't do it, so I went back and
tried to create a standard installer.  That didn't work, either.

I finally had to give up for the time being (too many other things to
waste more time on this) but will have to address it at some point.

For the record, I'm a programmer (45+ years), not a Linux administrator.
 I can fix programming problems, but trying to get the installer built
with the available documentation is virtually impossible.

Jerry