Changing flash-kernel behaviour (Was: Support for sunxi-based ARM systems in d-i)

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 09:43:14AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 08:36 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >
> > I think it would be better to put the actual kernel/initrd path (i.e.
> > with the version suffix) directly into the boot.scr rather than
> > creating
> > a link to the kernel just to launch it with.
> >
> > I'd also like to see boot.scr-$version as the actual file and boot.scr
> > as a link to the latest (with f-k creating boot.scr-$version for all
> > installed versions). That's probably a separate project though

Do all platforms flash-kernel cares for have their boot scripts
on a filesystem that supports symlinks?  I know too little about
the various ARM systems in this regard, but if there are systems
among them that for example boot from a FAT partition, this would
mean they would no longer be able to boot.  From looking at
bootscr.omap in the flash kernel sources I would assume that this
is at least the case for the Pandaboard.

> BTW, the reason for this is that it would make it somewhat easier to
> fallback to an older kernel on error, since you could just load and
> source boot.scr-$version.

That would indeed be nice, but it would come with a price. Would
we be willing to drop support for an existing (although not
officially Debian-supported) platform to achieve this?  Copying
instead of symlinking could of course be an alternative option -
not particularly elegant but not dependent on filesystem
features.

> BTW, the u-boot guys seem to want to converg on using either the
> extlinux config file format or the BootloaderSpec[0] as the standard
> mechanism for configuring which kernel to use. THe former would probably
> be easier to support (since we could just refactor update-extlinux out
> of the existing x86 only package).

> [0] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/

Hm, this spec mandates that the /boot partiton must be FAT.
When looking at the discussion about Raspbian using FAT on /boot
I doubt that Debian would implement that spec.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der