Re: Support for sunxi-based ARM systems in d-i

On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 08:36 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:

> I think it would be better to put the actual kernel/initrd path (i.e.
> with the version suffix) directly into the boot.scr rather than
> creating
> a link to the kernel just to launch it with.
>
> I'd also like to see boot.scr-$version as the actual file and boot.scr
> as a link to the latest (with f-k creating boot.scr-$version for all
> installed versions). That's probably a separate project though

BTW, the reason for this is that it would make it somewhat easier to
fallback to an older kernel on error, since you could just load and
source boot.scr-$version.

BTW, the u-boot guys seem to want to converg on using either the
extlinux config file format or the BootloaderSpec[0] as the standard
mechanism for configuring which kernel to use. THe former would probably
be easier to support (since we could just refactor update-extlinux out
of the existing x86 only package).

Ian.

[0] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/