Re: Proposal to replace/extend current armhf builders

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 05:50:33PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:

>One thing I'd like to avoid is growing the diversity of buildd's we
>have. If we have many different buildd hardware, each of buildd
>classes needs different kind of maintainence. So when add a new type
>of hw for buildd's, it should go in tandem of getting rid of another
>type of hw.
>
>So if we go with nitrogenx 2GB, are we ready to get rid of locos?

Possibly, if we're happy that they're stable and supportable.

>> > Is debian kernel an absolute requirement, or are we prepared to risk a
>> > custom kernel if we think it'll only be for 6 months?
>
>> If DSA absolutely requires kernel support then I don't think there is
>> much we can do. And I don't think that's a promise anyone could actually
>> make, that we expect mainline support to be fixed in the next 6 months.
>
>It's not just DSA, it is also in our porters best interests. We don't
>want to end up in the situtation where glibc/udev/systemd/ruby needs
>features from a new kernel version, while we are stuck in a old kernel.

Absolutely. We had these issues with the locos fairly soon after we
started, and I was worried whether or not we'd get sufficient upstream
kernel support to keep them usable.

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews