Re: Donation of ARM CubieTruck to anyone interested in developing ARM-Debian-desktop

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 11:39:50AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 02:21:01AM +0200, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> > 1. Only open & free drivers needs to be integrated into Debian.
> > Non-free drivers just needs to be documented how-to-install. (I will
> > try to help where I can)
> >
> > 2.  CubieTruck uses own Linux kernel fork 3.4.x (old) -- same is true
> > for other Allwinner-based products.
> > So not in mainline.
>
> That has to be fixed before Debian will support it.
>
> I have followed some of the discussions people have had with allwinner
> in the past, and I am not currently under the impression that they have
> any interest in doing things correctly.  I hope I have just missed
> smoething where they finally agreed to move to DTB and merging things
> with the mainline kernel.  Until that happens, it doesn't have a chance
> of getting official support.  Also a lot of people (like me) are not
> that interested in spending any time dealing with a system that isn't
> handled properly by its maker.

linux-sunxi.org is where it is at, and people are working real hard on
getting kernel code working and clean, and some bits do make it upstream
as they become useful. The enormity of this task should not be
underestimated, especially as new hw tends to come out in 6 month
intervals and the whole thing is ran by volunteers.

But again, linux-sunxi.org is where it is at.

Luc Verhaegen.