Re: Can't get a Linux 3.6-rc zImage smaller than 2MB

Hi, Maciej,

On Mar 23 2013, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> > Just curious: Can you install the package advancecomp and run on that
> > ramdisk the command:
> >
> >     advdef -z -4 ramdisk.gz
> >
> I've different files, but here goes. Less by 127 kB:
>      3385295     3254732  96% initrd.img-3.8.3-iop32x

Well, even if the difference is small, that may be the difference between
being able to squeeze it in the memory or exceeding the alloted size.

And 127kB is not neglibible, as there are many modules that would fit in
that space (more if we consider that they will be compressed).

> root@Koryto:/tmp# advdef -z -4 vmlinuz-3.8.3-iop32x
> File type not supported on vmlinuz-3.8.3-iop32x [at void
> convert_inplace(const std::string&):redef.cc:490]
>
> Maybe I could try to do it on the uncompressed image? I'm actually
> recompiling at the moment, so will try later.

A compressed Linux image is, in my understanding, more than simply gzipping
the image itself, which means that a plain advdef won't work, but I'd love
to be proven wrong.

Thanks,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA