RE: Can't get a Linux 3.6-rc zImage smaller than 2MB

Is it necessary to flash-kernel? Once /boot on HD is populated with the new kernel, doesn’t it finally boot from that and it doesn’t matter what version is flashed?

Chris

From: Maciej Soltysiak [mailto:maciej@soltysiak.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:05 PM
To: Chris Wilkinson
Cc: debian-arm@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Can't get a Linux 3.6-rc zImage smaller than 2MB

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Chris Wilkinson <kinsham@verizon.net> wrote:

Congrats!

Do you think that dpkg –i …  on the ss4000e would upgrade the installed stock kernel to a customized one compiled by buildroot or make-kpkg?

Sadly, for me, dpkg -i doesn't seem to update the /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.img symlink; I'm not sure it runs flash-kernel either.

After running dpkg -i for the image and headers I go to /boot to make sure the symlinks are ok, make sure the vmlinuz file ends with iop32x and then run flash-kernel and then checks if it would fit the 2MB MTD region and it flashes.

After reboot if works fine.

Regards,

Maciej