Re: Bits from the release team (freeze time line)

On 27/12/13 11:53, Peter Palfrader wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013, Steve McIntyre wrote:

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 06:08:03PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:

On a related note, DSA have concerns with the current arm* and mips*
hardware.  While there have been promises of new hardware to replace
some of the current buggy machines, the offers are currently not
leading to concrete results.  Porters of these architectures should
contact DSA and figure out a solution to avoid a situation where an
architecture is in jeopardy due to insufficient buildd or porter
machines.

Ummm, WTH? We've been looking into possible *upgrades* to replace some
of the armel and armhf buildds with faster and (ideally) more easily
managed machines, but I *seriously* disagree with any suggestion that
the current machines are "buggy". I can see that with the some of the
known-buggy mips* machines, but I don't accept that the arm* machines
could/should be classified this way.

I think I agree with you here.  Mips* is hard to come by and a real
problem.

Arm* is a slightly smaller issue because we have no way to remotely power
cycle the machines, and because a couple of them have died or developed
disk issues.  Other than that they seem to be fine.  Eventuallly
replacing the existing HW with newer stuff might still be nice, but it
is - at least IMO - not a blocker.

There are a number of companies offering free or very cheap indeed hosting for Raspberry Pis that includes remote power cycling. Can Debian make use of these services by providing more powerful ARM hardware instead of the Pis and making use of the existing remote power systems?

Please note I'm in no way suggesting that a Pi is a useful buildd system.

The two companies I came across where:

http://blog.raspberrycolocation.com/

http://www.edis.at/en/server/colocation/austria/raspberrypi/

In terms of hardware I'm currently experimenting with a Cubietruck which is a dual core A20 (ARMv7) with 2gb of RAM, a SATA port, gig ethernet and a serial console for just under $100. This provides at least twice as much RAM as the current buidd's that I can see the data on from the status page.

With a bit of work you can run mainline kernels on it but not with current kernels from Debian, Jessie and Wheezy userspace just work with both mainline and the 3.4 kernel from the sunix people.

--
Tim Fletcher <tim@night-shade.org.uk>