Re: Donation of ARM CubieTruck to anyone interested in developing ARM-Debian-desktop

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM, Wookey wrote:

> But it's not a 'fetish'. The issue is that there is no resource in
> Debian (or other distros, mostly) to support piles of random vendor
> kernel trees, one for each device. We tried to do this back in the early
> days of arm and it didn't work - code mouldered and broke very quickly.

I think this (piles of possibly unmodifiable/unreplacable, possibly
ancient, possibly proprietary, usually crap vendor
kernels/bootloaders/firmware/hypervisors) is a problem that will be
with us for the foreseeable future. The best we can do within Debian
is to try to ensure that init, udev and other components work when not
all of the system is provided by Debian and that we provide components
that work around limitations in those systems. For example the Xorg
evdev driver doesn't support the galaxysmtd touchscreen because the
Android Linux driver is buggy but there (apparently) a driver (mtrack)
that works around those bugs. Another example is the network
restrictions on the Android versions of Linux. ChrootOnAndroid, Lil
Debi and Debian Kit style approaches will sadly be with us for a long
time to come and it might be interesting to bring those closer to
Debian.

https://wiki.debian.org/ChrootOnAndroid
https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile#software-installers

--