Re: Donation of ARM CubieTruck to anyone interested in developing ARM-Debian-desktop

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 11:43:20AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 02:21:52AM +0200, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> > UPDATE:
> > Here I found AllWinner Linux mainlining effort
> > http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort
>
> That looks promising.
>
> > On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Worth reading:
> > > Getting Allwinner SoC support upstream:
> > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM4NDc
> > >
> > > and here:
> > > http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1306.0/02744.html
>
> I remember that.  Luke hadn't even bothered to learn anything at all
> about what device-tree is or where it came from or how capable it is.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

I personally really dislike this upstream fetish.

The effect is highly detrimental, as it mostly ignores the hard work
needed on getting broken and bad code in difficult places fixed. The
initial and perhaps easy bits make it upstream, and then after a while,
a new platform comes along and interest is lost, and upstream has just
some initial code included, which will only have limited use. At the
same time, the difficult bits will have seen less love as well, and
no-one will have won anything. And then, a few years down the road,
upstream will do what they did with telechips.

Luc Verhaegen.