Re: Debian 7.0 on Dreamplug basic installation and booting system external sd card

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 11:38 +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> [2013-11-01 20:19]:
> > IIRC the main reason is that the factory shipped u-boot can only speak
> > FAT which isn't really suitable for mounting as /boot (lack of POSIXy
> > features like symlinks, for e.g. the vmlinuz link, I think was the main
> > issue).
>
> But since the Dreamplug has a serial adapter, I think it's ok to
> require an u-boot upgrade before installing Debian.

Agreed, although my rationale would be the presence of JTAG not serial.

I don't know if that is the case for all similar platforms though.

> > On most platforms flash-kernel generally prefers to mount the device
> > dynamically, for those sorts of reasons. At least that's how I remember
> > one of the f-k folks explaining it to me.
>
> No, that's not very common at all (although I see there are two other
> devices now that do this).  The most common way is either to write
> directly to flash (for machines that boot from flash),

Right, I was trying to say "most common among devices which do not have
a dedicated flash partition for the kernel" or something like that.

>  or to put the
> files under /boot, under the assumption that /boot is where the device
> boots from (and d-i has checks to make sure this is the case, although
> d-i cannot check for everything).

But I see that even what I was trying to say was wrong. My mistake.

> Looking at #667681, I see that your original patch put the files in
> /boot but Loïc suggested otherwise.  I don't agree with Loïc's
> rationale but I guess I'm 1.5 years late...
>
> If people think it's too late to change the behaviour now, I think it
> would be good to at least add a simple message like
>   Creating boot files on /dev/sdaX
> to make it cleaer what's going on.

We can't really change Wheezy but I'd have no problem with doing it
differently for Jessie+, assuming the upgrade path can be sorted out.

Ian.