Re: Debian 7.0 on Dreamplug basic installation and booting system external sd card

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 17:04 +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> [2013-11-01 08:23]:
> > > but from the timestamps on /boot/u{Image,Initrd}, no, these files were
> > > not actually updated.
> >
> > It's possible they ended up on sda1 rather than sdb1?
>
> Yes, this is what happens.  Stanley sent me the logs:
> + mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/flash-kernel.QO3YSugq
>
> Why does it hardcode Boot-Device instead of just putting the files in
> the mounted /boot partition?

IIRC the main reason is that the factory shipped u-boot can only speak
FAT which isn't really suitable for mounting as /boot (lack of POSIXy
features like symlinks, for e.g. the vmlinuz link, I think was the main
issue).

On most platforms flash-kernel generally prefers to mount the device
dynamically, for those sorts of reasons. At least that's how I remember
one of the f-k folks explaining it to me.

Ian.