Re: Dropping valgrind from armel?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 08:24:28PM +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> long story short, a couple years ago armel builds for valgrind were enabled
> (despite the fact that valgrind only supports ARMv7) by building the package in
> cross-compile mode and forcing the -march=armv7-a option on buildds that didn't
> support ARMv7 natively. This was done so that ARMv7 armel systems could use
> valgrind (see #592614).
>
> This has sort of worked for a while, until a couple months ago when valgrind
> started FTBFS on armel (#720409). This was a simple routine rebuild for the
> openmpi transition, so I'm inclined to think that I did not broke anything
> myself. My next upload 1:3.8.1-5 (a month later) still failed to build, making
> me think that this is not a transient failure.
>
> Hence the idea: what about dropping valgrind from armel? Or alternatively, is
> there anyone who cares about valgrind on armel and wants to debug and try to
> fix this (possibly without making the original kinda ugly hack any worse)?

So, no one? In the next few days I'm going to upload a new version disabling
armel builds and ask the release team to drop it as well. If it turns out that
many people actually used valgrind on armel, I guess I can re-enable it later
(once it works again).

Cheers

--
perl -E '$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'