Re: Arduino TRE

On 3 October 2013 21:28, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
>
>  512mb of RAM.  it's not clear whether that's a 16-bit data path or a
> 32-bit data path, but a 1ghz AM335x is only a single-core ARM Cortex
> A8.  it also only uses MicroSD for boot (which means it's 4-bit not
> 8-bit).
>
>  basically it'll be intolerable as a desktop system.  ok, if you can
> tolerate a desktop from 4 years ago (LXDE etc.) you'll do fine.
>
>  as an embedded system it's absolutely fantastic.  a full 1ghz CPU
> running debian, with networking and so on?  it's perfect.  you'd be
> able to run a web server, printer server, connect it to a 3D printer's
> servos, use the 1ghz CPU for uploading 3D CAD/CAM files, have them
> processed (overnight probably...) by the 1ghz CPU, then control the
> ATMega (again from the 1ghz CPU) to do the actual 3D printing.  and
> you could have an HDMI monitor showing the image of the product in 3D
> as it was being printed.
>
>  that kind of scenario and many more like it, it'd be perfect.  but
> for actual desktop usage? flat-out forget it.
>
> l.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your to thoughts! Now you make me wonder about the size of
an "int", and maybe the size of a "char".

I wonder what the c code (yayhhh we can use gcc on a arduino!) bellow
would print:

printf("unsigned %lu bits %lu bytes\n", (long
unsigned)sizeof(unsigned)*CHAR_BIT,(long
unsigned)(sizeof(unsigned)*CHAR_BIT)/8);

printf("int %lu bits %lu bytes\n", (long unsigned)sizeof(int) *
CHAR_BIT, (long unsigned)(sizeof(int) * CHAR_BIT)/8);

Anyone with access to one of theses babies?

Cheers,
Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." (H. Jackson Brown Jr.)