Re: Arduino TRE

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
> Hello guys from Debian ARM!
>

> Anyone have tested this Arduino TRE [1] with Debian?
>
> I'm very happy such enterprises still believe in, and produce hardware
> to linux! :)
>
> I bet this  1-GHz Sitara AM335x processor is very fast, suitable for
> most end-users to do basic stuff, like a small office or something.

 http://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/toolsinsider/archive/2013/10/03/introducing-arduino-tre.aspx

 512mb of RAM.  it's not clear whether that's a 16-bit data path or a
32-bit data path, but a 1ghz AM335x is only a single-core ARM Cortex
A8.  it also only uses MicroSD for boot (which means it's 4-bit not
8-bit).

 basically it'll be intolerable as a desktop system.  ok, if you can
tolerate a desktop from 4 years ago (LXDE etc.) you'll do fine.

 as an embedded system it's absolutely fantastic.  a full 1ghz CPU
running debian, with networking and so on?  it's perfect.  you'd be
able to run a web server, printer server, connect it to a 3D printer's
servos, use the 1ghz CPU for uploading 3D CAD/CAM files, have them
processed (overnight probably...) by the 1ghz CPU, then control the
ATMega (again from the 1ghz CPU) to do the actual 3D printing.  and
you could have an HDMI monitor showing the image of the product in 3D
as it was being printed.

 that kind of scenario and many more like it, it'd be perfect.  but
for actual desktop usage? flat-out forget it.

l.