Re: Compiling armhf version on wheezy amd64

+++ Jerry Stuckle [2013-09-25 15:49 -0400]:
> OK, I think I'm making progress here - at least figuring out what
> I'm doing wrong.
>
> I need to go back and compile a new kernel for the raspberry pi
> (armhf). I'm using wheezy (amd64).
>
> Where I'm running into problems is finding the files for compiling.
> I get the message "arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: Command not found".

Sometimes this is just a missing symlink, even when you do have a
crosstoolchain installed (from arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc to
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-4.x)

> Looking through the repository, it looks like I need to install
> gcc:armhf.  But doing this with apt-get gives me unmet dependencies,
> and doing it with aptitude removes a bunch of packages.

No,m that would be the version of gcc that _runs on arm_. You want one
that runs on amd64, but produces code for arm. That would be
gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabihf:amd64

> So, can someone please help a noob with what I need to install to be
> able to compile the kernel?

Cross-toolchains for debian are not yet in the archive, and the
emdebian ones are broken on wheezy (SFAIK), so its a bit of a mess at
the moment. This set (ubuntu cross-toolchain rebuild for debian) work
on unstable, and may install OK on wheezy:
http://www.lrc.ic.unicamp.br/~alkmim/debian/repository/ubuntu-armhf-crosstoolchain/

There are useful docs I should point you at, and actually check what
is/isn;t working today.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/