Compiling armhf version on wheezy amd64

OK, I think I'm making progress here - at least figuring out what I'm doing wrong.

I need to go back and compile a new kernel for the raspberry pi (armhf). I'm using wheezy (amd64).

Where I'm running into problems is finding the files for compiling. I get the message "arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: Command not found".

Looking through the repository, it looks like I need to install gcc:armhf. But doing this with apt-get gives me unmet dependencies, and doing it with aptitude removes a bunch of packages.

So, can someone please help a noob with what I need to install to be able to compile the kernel?

TIA

Jerry