Re: Compiling Raspbian under QEMU

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Hi, all,

I've got raspbian (Linux 3.6.8) running under QEMU on Debian under a Virtual Box (don't ask! :) ).

I'm trying to compile a new raspbian kernel (3.6.9), but having some problems (this is the first time I've tried to compile a kernel).

I did the 'make mrproper' followed by 'make config', loading the existing configuration. That all worked fine. However, when I try to do just 'make' to compile the kernel, I eventually get the message:

arm-linux-gnueabihf-ld: not found

Indeed, this isn't on my system.

Am I missing a package, or did I do something wrong (or both?)
Unlike the gcc packages the binutils package doesn't seem to include
files name <triplet>-<tool> in the native version.

My guess would be that whatever kernel configuration you are using is
set up for cross-compilation rather than native compilation and you need
to remove some kind of cross tool prefix setting from it (I don't
remember the exact name offhand) to make it suitable for native
compilation.