Compiling Raspbian under QEMU

Hi, all,

I've got raspbian (Linux 3.6.8) running under QEMU on Debian under a Virtual Box (don't ask! :) ).

I'm trying to compile a new raspbian kernel (3.6.9), but having some problems (this is the first time I've tried to compile a kernel).

I did the 'make mrproper' followed by 'make config', loading the existing configuration. That all worked fine. However, when I try to do just 'make' to compile the kernel, I eventually get the message:

arm-linux-gnueabihf-ld: not found

Indeed, this isn't on my system.

Am I missing a package, or did I do something wrong (or both?)

TIA.

Jerry