Re: Kirkwood kernel installation

On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 11:09 +0200, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> After installing Debian Wheezy (and generating the u-boot images the
> unorthodox way), I came to realize that apt-get install --reinstall
> linux-image-3.2.0-4-kirkwood did not generate the u-boot images. The
> flash-kernel packages has to be installed by hand, and it even lacks
> u-boot-tools as a dependency: it's only recommended, but it should NOT,
> since many of the boards that kernel-flash handles NEED mkimage.
>
> I think it would be *very* important that:
> 1. u-boot-tools is added as a dep of kernel-flash
> 2. kernel-flash is added as a dep of linux-image-3.2.0-4-kirkwood (and
> any newer image)
> 3. kernel-flash is run after the installation of
> linux-image-3.2.0-4-kirkwood (and newer): what's the point of
> installing/updating the kernel if in the end, the installed images are
> not in the format usable by the bootloader?
> 4. All of this should be fixed in wheezy and not in newer versions only,
> since it seems fairly important

Not all platforms which need flash-kernel need the u-boot tools. The
installer knows which platforms need what and will normally install
them, but you had to skip that step so you missed out.

I'm investigating the root cause as described in your other mail now
(although I have to go out shortly, so I may not respond today).

Ian.