Re: Arm bof and raspbian.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

Thoughts?

Wookey

Trick question, right?  I mean, it looks like such a straightforward solution that I can't believe there isn't some kind of hidden gotcha in there somewhere... :-)

It even has me asking why we don't do this kind of thing more often, for nuanced configurations that aren't appropriate or just aren't ready for mainline Debian.  I don't buy any objection based on "fragmentation", since the tools were intended to be used like this anyway.  How else would Debian be the most ISA-friendly distribution on the planet, even without its glacial pace of development(*)?

* - The "glacial" attribution is largely cultural in my mind. So much of Debian is so stable and functional already, it's hard to keep coming up new-and-shiny things to add to it that would merit a whole new named release.  I don't have a problem with that.  Now let's start using those great tools to promote and embrace ecosystem diversity, rather than trying to decide what e.g. a one-true-ARM configuration has to look like.  We don't have to leave anyone behind, really...

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com